Friday, January 2, 2009

Week 33

We got signed up for our childbirth class! We start on January 12th and I'm looking forward to it. It's surreal to think about sitting in a childbirth class, practicing breathing techniques, I just can't believe we're at that point, so exciting!
Another thing to mark off the to do list: I picked a pediatrician (based on recommendations) and now I just need to call her. I also got my FMLA stuff figured out which is nice. My last day will be February 13th, just 6 weeks away!!! That is of course unless she comes early, but I hear with your first that you are more likely to deliver late that early. However, I was 10 days early so maybe she'll take after me :-)
I'm going to be a mommy this year!!!

Symptoms:

Swelling. I wore my pretty red shoes on Tuesday and when I took them off I noticed my feet were pretty puffy. So after my walk I sat on the couch and tried to elevate them, I think it helped a little. Well, Wednesday when I got home from work, holy cow, I had cankles. My ankles were really swollen and I couldn't believe how fast it came on. Having Thursday off work helped though because they are almost back to normal, although I'm sure when I go home tonight they will be swollen again.

Big Belly. Apparently I am starting to look large and in charge, as per my co-worker. When I walked by her she said, "Whoa, what are you feeding that girl?" Now, I realize I am overly sensitive so I tried to be ok with this, but it hurt my feelings. Granted, being pregnant and complaining about getting fat is like standing in a swimming pool and complaining that you are wet, but still. It's not that I mind people commenting on my growing belly, but maybe think about how you say it. You could say, "Your belly is getting so cute and big," and then add, "...by the way you're very pretty and glowing and radiant." Alright, maybe the last part is a stretch, but still, you get the idea. I think I have just hit that point in the pregnancy where I feel large all over and it's just an adjustment. My body is changing rapidly and it's a challenge to take it all in.

Less-irritable. I was definitely less emotional, irritable, and irrational this week which was a refreshing change. Brian still had to be up North for a few days which bummed me out, but I dealt with it way better and was much more positive. I also didn't cry at all this week, wahoo!

Sleep issues. Sleeping was a bit rough this week, I now go to the bathroom 2 or 3 times instead of just once so that has probably contributed. I also will wake up randomly and have a hard time getting back to sleep. My hips started aching during the night so I know that doesn't help.

Dreams. I will have dreams that I am getting further and further along in my pregnancy until finally I reach 37 weeks and think, "She can come out now!" But then I wake up and realize I am still 33 weeks and she needs to stay in there for at least another 4 weeks. I also had a bad dream that I didn't like. Bria was here (although I think it was a boy) and I was trying to put her to bed but she was crying really hard and wouldn't lay down, I was getting frustrated. Then I woke up. I guess what disturbed me is that instead of snuggling with her I was frustrated. I think maybe because I'm scared I won't be as patient as I want to be. I'm reading the Baby Whisperer and I'm on the sleeping chapter where she talks about walking away for a second to take 3 deep breaths if you find yourself getting frustrated. Anyway, I just hated the thought of getting frustrated with this precious little miracle that's growing inside me, I love her so much and all I want to do is give her kisses and cuddle her.

Lots of movement. She was very active this week, especially in the beginning of the week. I think it was Monday that it felt like she was moving all day, it was cracking me up. It's funny to watch my stomach get all distorted. Every once and awhile I'll feel a little kick down on my pelvis bone, it's really weird and kind of tickles. I love feeling her move, it is the best.

Hot. I woke up sweating most nights, even though the house is set to 56 and I sleep in my underwear. Fortunately Brian's internal furnace is set to hot so I'm not freezing him out yet :) I can't imagine how awful I would be sleeping if it were summer-we have no AC.

Overwhelmed. I read a few pregnancy books and they all have lists of things I'll need/want before Bria arrives. I'm wishing I would've bookmarked these pages because now I just feel overwhelmed and can't remember everything I need to do. I have 2 more baby showers before Bria is born (so excited!), one is at work on the 15th of this month and the other is the one my sister's and mom are throwing for me on the 31st. So I'm going to wait until after those to go purchase any "must have" items (although I'm not 100% sure I know what those "must have's" are). Aside from that I think this is what I still need to do, but please add anything you can think of:
1. Verify the pediatrician is covered by Brian's insurance
2. Call pediatrician
3. Find a list of what to pack for the hospital
4. Pack hospital bag
5. Create a phone list for people to call when I go into labor
6. Iron out details for when I go into labor
7. Pick coming home outfit for Bria (this will probably wait until after the baby showers)
8. Clean and organize house

What else am I missing?


Baby:

This week your baby weighs a little over 4 pounds (heft a pineapple) and has passed the 17-inch mark. She's rapidly losing that wrinkled, alien look and her skeleton is hardening. The bones in her skull aren't fused together, which allows them to move and slightly overlap, thus making it easier for her to fit through the birth canal. (The pressure on the head during birth is so intense that many babies are born with a conehead-like appearance.) These bones don't entirely fuse until early adulthood, so they can grow as her brain and other tissue expands during infancy and childhood.

*I am horrible and still don't have a belly picture to post, I'll do it this weekend!

3 comments:

Amy said...

you're definitely getting closer, how exciting!

if you don't mind, i'd love to hear any good book rec's you have. i'm not sure where to start or which ones are worth my time! thanks!

Anonymous said...

you look so cute, personally i can't believe how tiny you are other than the belly!!

i read the baby whisperer and we followed the EASY thing with my son. it was great - he was sleeping through the night by 2 months or so and has always been a great sleeper.

The Beavers said...

Your blogs always take me back to when I was pregnant with Nathan. I swear we think so much alike sometimes. My only advice is with the phone list. Pick a couple people you will call and then let them call the rest of the people on the list. The last thing I wanted to do was call or text anyone to tell them I was in labor...I had a lot of other things on my mind!! Necessities that I didn't think about...Maxi Pads for when you get home. I'm not even joking. Rubbing Alcohol to clean Bria's belly button.
Can't wait to meet her!!!