Monday, January 5, 2009

33w 3d

Books

I love to read and so of course when I got pregnant I wanted to start reading all the pregnancy books I could get my hands on. Especially since it doesn't feel real in the beginning, you aren't showing, it's too soon to do the nursery or shop for things, and you are just waiting for the first appointment. So I wanted to list the books I read and what I liked/disliked about them.

Pregnancy Books

Your Pregnancy Week by Week
Like it.

What I really enjoy is that each week I can read a new chapter instead of only getting to read one chapter a month. Plus there are lots of changes that occur in just one week and I love being able to picture what Bria is up to. The only downside is that some of the chapters/weeks are full of information that does not apply to everyone. Which is totally fine, they shouldn't have to cater to me or anything, but sometimes the whole chapter is about that one subject so I don't feel like I learned anything. For example, some weeks are about Hepatits, or HIV, or the Bird Flu. I'm not saying these shouldn't be mentioned or discussed, but maybe not the majority of the chapter, ya know? But overall it gives lots of medical information and I enjoyed that.

Belly Laughs
Like it.
It's a really fun read and she is brutally honest, so much so that I was expecting the worst and have been pleasantly surprised so far. I just liked to be able to laugh and read something light hearted. The only con is that there isn't any medical information, it's more just her opinion, but that is why you get Your Pregnancy Week by Week.





The Girlfriend's Guide to Pregnancy
Like it.
I love her honesty and knowledge. You can tell she is more experienced than Jenny (author of Belly Laughs) and so it is easier to take advice from her. She's really funny and makes you feel normal. She brings experiences from multiple women so it's not just one persons experience which is cool. It is another easy, light hearted read.





What to Expect When You're Expecting
So so.
Although I like the medical information and expertise of this book, it goes through month by month, instead of week by week. Now this is more of a personal preference of course, but I like being able to read a new chapter each week instead of once a month. I do like the information it provides though, and it tends to have more useful information than Your Pregnancy Week by Week. I was glad to have this book, but also glad that it was given to me instead of having to purchase it.




Frankly Pregnant
Like it.
I have really enjoyed this book. Again, it's a week by week book which I love and it's straight from someone who is going through it at the time. So it's nice to compare the symptoms you are having with what she had at that week. She also had a doctor edit it who throws in information here and there. It's a great blend of Belly Laughs and Your Pregnancy Week by Week. The chapters are pretty short which is maybe the only down fall. I look forward to reading the next week and then there is only 2 pages or so. But still a good read.




Baby Books

Secrets of The Baby Whisperer
Love it, must have!
My sister gave me this book and I absolutely love it. She (my sister) has 3 kids who are all excellent sleepers which is proof enough for me that this book works. I also learned that others have had success with it and that makes me even more excited. I just love this author and her methods, I am learning a lot and feel much more prepared and informed for when Bria comes. Also, she is great about reminding you of your marriage and "you" time. I really have no complaints about this book and wish I could articulate just how good it is.

Baby Wise
Like it.
It follows pretty closely with The Baby Whisperer and I think they compliment each other nicely. I think I will choose Baby Whisperer's advice over this book when they differ on topics, but for the most part they are pretty in sync so that is not an issue. Both books focus on a flexible schedule of: Eating, Activity, Sleeping for the baby.


Baby Bargains
Love it.
Brandi got this for me and I'm so thankful that she did. It reviews every baby item you could think of and it does so very honestly. I like that it doesn't favor the most expensive brands and has no advertisements of any kind, in fact, they make sure it is known that no one paid to have their name in there or not in there. They just review all items and give you an honest opinion as well as facts. It's a must have as well.



And for goodness sakes go make your guess as to when Bria will arrive (to the left)!

5 comments:

Shannon said...

Ok, Ok, I guessed :)


I like your review on the books and will bookmark this page of your blog for future reference, thanks for writing it!

The Beavers said...

I've heard only great things about the Baby Whisperer book. It will be one I get for baby #2 for sure!

Brandi said...

I totally loved the Baby Whisperer as well, and Baby Bargains- well you know how I feel about that bad boy! Have a wonderful 33 weeks, and do me a favor. Enjoy these last few weeks. For me and Austin ;o)

Lindsay said...

I voted :-) I'm pretty sure i'm right!

Thanks for the review. I'm not buying any books till i'm PG, but I am really excited to get some of these once I am!

Jenn said...

holy cow! I love to read and have read half of those, but am a little behind on the others. I wanted to get Baby Wise, but wasnt sure if that was my technique or not....what else can you tell me about it? I am going to go vote now!